Monday, November 29, 2010

Where do you get your recipes?

I love trying new recipes, but just like most people, I have a few trusted sources that I always go to. Here are some of my favorite food blogs and cookbooks…I hope you’ll check them out! Please share some of your favorites in the comments section…there can never be too many good recipes to go around.


Websites:

http://simplyrecipes.com/ - One of my primary go-to sites. Great variety of recipes (especially Mexican/Tex-Mex), I’ve never gone wrong with Elise’s advice. She also has excellent photography tips.


http://smittenkitchen.com/ - Another great go-to. Good recipes and hilarious commentary.


http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/ - If you aren’t afraid of butter, you’ll love the Pioneer Woman. Her recipes are simple, delicious artery cloggers ;). If cooking isn’t your thing, she also blogs about gardening and homeschooling, among other things. Lots of fun giveaways too!


http://www.101cookbooks.com/ - Blog by Heidi Swanson, author of the cookbook “Super Natural Cooking”. That pretty much sums it up…awesome vegetarian recipes.


http://annies-eats.com/ - I don’t understand how Annie, a doctor, has time to cook this much. I aspire to be this put-together one day. Lots of delicious baked goods and tips on meal and party planning.


Cookbooks:

How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman – Mark Bittman is all about simplicity…recipes that you can look at once and just remember. This is a great reference if you’re unsure how to use a particular ingredient or make basics like vinaigrettes.


Local Flavors by Deborah Madison – Some of her recipes are a bit complex and others use unusual ingredients, but if you cook seasonally there are lots of gems in this book. Carry it to the farmers market with you and you’ll never be at a loss for what to do with all those colorful veggies!


I’m Just Here For the Food by Alton Brown – Alton Brown in the Bill Nye of the Food Network, and in his book he explains the science behind cooking…good to know, since cooking is essentially a science!


Magazines:

Cooks Illustrated – I just recently started getting their magazine and love it! Like Alton Brown, they use science to explain why certain techniques work and others don’t…like how the saturated-to-unsaturated fat ratio in a cookie determines its chewiness…who knew!



Again, please let all of us at Relay and around Charlottesville/Richmond where you get your favorite recipes and tips!

12 comments:

  1. Smitten kitchen has the best pictures and an awesome layout. I normally my recipes from googling silly things like "what can i make with 14 eggs and lots of sirracha", or from epicurious though...the smitten kitchen/food blog stuff is too complex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looove pioneer woman. Thanks for the other blogs, Annie's Eats looks delicious!
    Could you write another post giving us some recipes ideas from blogs like these that use local ingredients we can buy through Relay?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too enjoy many of these blogs! I like simply recipes, smitten kitchen, and 101cookbooks the best. But for quick dinner ideas I usually refer to the classic "Joy of Cooking" cookbook, which is good for basic 'what do you do with ___' ideas. Keep on bloggin'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joy the Baker (joythebaker.com) and our very own hometown Charlottesville gal (and Relay customer!), Andrea, from Bellaeats (bellaeats.com) are my all-time favorite bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YYYEEESSSS PIONEER WOMAN IN MY MOUTH

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Art of Simple Food, by Alice Waters--all about eating locally and seasonally. In addition to having great recipes, there are tons of basic cooking tips that can be really helpful. Also, 101cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The book Nourishing Traditions has great recipes and a bunch of nutritional info I never knew before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://www.culinate.com/recipes is a great site for seasonal, interesting food. You can search recipes by weeknight, whole grain, farmers market, etc. I am currently working my way through Bittmans "Food Matters".

    ReplyDelete
  9. epicurious.com is my go-to site.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I usually use cookinglight.com for online recipes. And I absolutely love all of the cookbooks by Mollie Katzen! Her recipes are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anything Barefoot Contessa, Epicurious, Giada...love Time for Dinner (cookbook) & Dinner: A Love Story (blog by one of the authors) -- great family-friendly food with easy recipe "adaptations" for kids. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hmmm seems like i get my recipes from the air--
    when i pay attention. LOVE

    ReplyDelete